JimL

My plumber adds a $50 surcharge if he has to touch a pex connection.

I would avoid it like the plague.

On 11 May 2005 10:51:53 -0700, "JDS"
wrote:

Hello,

Let me preface this by saying I have zero experience with plumbing but
I want to DIY this project because I am trying to gain that experience.
Sorry if some of my questions are dumb.

My friend (who worked with his dad many years in their plumbing
business) and I are going to redo the plumbing in my house. The old
pipes are filled with crud and need to go. I read in this group quite
a bit about PEX and I am sold on it for my house. After some
convincing my friend has come around (he was insisting on copper,
because that is what he knows) and is going to help me.

I want to go with the Wirsbo system (ProPEX brass fittings), using
their hand tool and the expansion fittings. The only place I have
found that will sell to me (so far) is this website:

http://www.pexsupply.com/

First question:
I would love a local place to buy it (Seattle) but so far I have had no
luck. Lowes sells only the compression type fittings (and all plastic
too!). Can anyone else recommend a place to buy the Wirsbo stuff? Or
has anyone else bought from pexsupply.com?

Second question:
While I have a general idea of the procedure for installing the PEX, I
was wondering if there was a guide of some sort/manual. I know there
is a ring that sits on the outside of the tube for the expansion
fitting but I don't understand its purpose. Slip on the ring, use the
expander, slip over fitting, is that it? I can't find the stuff
locally so I have only read about it and seen pictures on the net.

Third question:
When people do a remodel with PEX, are they fishing the tubes through
the walls and just letting it sit there unsupported? I see several
types of fasteners that will fix it to the studs/joists but I am
wondering what the "best practice" is for a remodel.

Last question:
My plan is to do home-run system where every appliance comes back to
the manifold. The Wirsbo Aquacenter manifold with the on/off valves:
http://www.wirsbo.com/main.php?pm=1&...ex.php&sroom=1
Seems to only have 1/2 inch ID outputs. Is that the normal size for a
home-run style system?

Thanks for any help! I love reading this group.

Justin