SteveB

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently brought down the remains of a mostly-rotted tree from my yard.
It had snapped during the winter in a windstorm.

Cutting it down was pretty easy. I sawed very low to the ground just
using a bow saw, then a strong friend and I were able to push the trunk
over, snapping it at the cut.

What to do now with the stump? I don't want to pay a stump remover if I
can avoid it. Money (probably $75) isn't the big issue; the big issue is
that they'll then make a massive hole and dirt spot in my
otherwise-immaculate front yard, and that spot will be a bear to get to
look nice.

I have taken out two big stumps. I started by putting a comealong on it and
getting a bind. Then started digging. But I used a very large vacuum to
remove loose soil. It helped to see where the roots were. I just dug, and
when I found another root, cut it. Cutting with a chain saw doesn't do
anything but ruin the saw.

It is work, but you will start to get the thing to move. If you have a good
bind on it by hooking it to something solid, this will help you get it
moving. If you have a 4wd truck, you can jerk on it a bit, but be careful.

Any way you look at it, there is no easy way.

Steve