Doug Miller

In article , "W. Wells" wrote:
I have an old house and am repointing some bricks. I would like to know what
the mixture ratio is for cement and sand. I have heard anywhere from half
and half to 3 times sand. I have to have an almost white color so I can't
use the premixed motar. What I have been mixing ( half and half) seems to
fall away when it dries. Thanks for any help.

If it crumbles when it dries, either your cement is too old, or you didn't use
enough water. Also, you should wet down the existing mortar and bricks before
applying the new mortar. Otherwise, the existing masonry will suck water out
of your new mortar and weaken it.

G Henslee's recommended mix is good advice. You really need some lime in there
to increase the workability of the mix; it makes the mortar stickier, too.

--
Regards,