Angel

Default Patio paver installation problem

I'm using those octagonal shaped patio pavers that have a two inch
protrusion coming out from one of the eight faces. My problem is that as I
lay them I'm getting spaces up to 1/4 inch between the pavers that I cant
close. When I tap the spaces closed, they open up in the other direction.
I cant seem to have it both ways! I started the first row laying them along
a taut string so I know they are laying straight.

Does anyone know the secrets to laying these things so they all fit together
as they should?

thx/jerry