Bill Waller

On 10 May 2005 14:09:20 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Hi there my house water filter backwashes every night into the sump,
which then pumps it out of the basement through a wall and out. I was
wondering if there is a reason why it doesn't just empty into the exit
pipe, instead of the sump. Is this to 'exercise' the sump pump? Or just
plaine wrong?

Thanks

Dean

It all depends on where the sump pump is putting the water. If you have on site
septic, you probably don't want the backwash filling it every night. I used to
send the backwash into an old unused shallow well in the basement of the house
I lived in.

As far a public sewerage is concerned, I cannot attest as to how the
"authority" likes handling the extra water.

One thing that I did learn, after many years with that system was that it was
not necessary to run it every night. I think by the time we sold the house, the
backwash ran twice a week.

Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA