w_tom

The reason why I did not use the expression "interior pipe"
was that any connection made to or disconnecting of (ie use of
plastic pipe) buried utility water pipe would not leave
bathtub, etc electrically hot. I saw no need to specify
'interior' pipes since bottom line concept is to not dump
'safety ground' electricity into pipes. But HorneTD makes a
good point. Others may not have understood what I assumed to
be obvious.

To summarize for the benefit of others, it is bad practice
(even if it is legal in Canada) to safety ground a wall
receptacle to household water pipes. Electrical connections
to pipes are to remove electricity from those pipes.
Connection to dump electricity into pipes (water, gas or
sewer) is not desirable.

In the OPs case, putting those receptacles on a GFCI is
strongly recommended (as one of two possible solutions). The
acceptable connection is wire dedicated for that safety
function; connected to circuit box safety ground. Even if it
is no longer acceptable by code (and I believe was a code
change), a separate 12 AWG green colored ground wire is safer
than connecting to household pipes. Dedicated earthing of
wall receptacle (ie throw a wire out the window to a ground
rod) accomplishes little for human safety and would be a code
violation. That ground rod outside the window was simply a
bad idea based in confusion between safety ground verses earth
ground.

HorneTD lists code approved methods of safety grounding that
receptacle. In each case, it is a dedicated connection from
that receptacle safety ground to breaker box safety ground.
The principle: that safety ground must use dedicated
connections back to breaker box safety ground. Interior pipes
are no longer considered dedicated connections. Even if we
ignore code, grounding to interior water pipes can create
serious human safety issues.

HorneTD wrote:
If you would only add the word interior before water pipe when making
statements such as "The connection from breaker box to cold water pipe
is required by code to remove electricity from that pipe" There would be
no disagreement between us. My concern is that some will see your
statements as a reason to not use an underground metal water pipe as a
grounding electrode. My other problem is that the US NEC specifically
allows a retrofit EGC; i.e. bonding conductor; to terminate in several
different places. You always state as an absolute that it must
terminate at the supplying panel's ground bar. That may indeed be best
practice but your insistence on best practice instead of code compliance
will deter the installation of retrofit grounds as specifically
permitted by the US NEC vis..

[The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or
a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any
of the following:
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as
described in 250.50
(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor
(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure
where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit
originates
(4) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within
the service equipment enclosure
(5) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within
the service equipment enclosure]

--
Tom Horne