Chris Lewis

According to HorneTD :
This is obviously very important to you though I'm having trouble
figuring out why. Is it perhaps because you are determined to silence,
or at least put down, someone who irritated you quite a lot.

You're reading much more into this than you should. I'm just
pointing out where you're lulling yourself into a false sense
of security if you think "not being paid" absolutely shields you.

Nothing does, unless your state or other jurisdiction has explicitly
shielded you. See the link below.

Site a
case upheld on appeal or give it up. Talk theory all you want until
there is an actual case on point it is all speculation.

Have you ever tried searching for such a narrow thing when you don't have
real lawbooks at your side? Hah! ;-)

Then again, these should put paid to the argument:

http://www.iciclesoftware.com/VLH7/VLH7Torts.html

Look for "tort of innocent misrepresentation". Normally appears in
contract law, but it's also a risk with "volunteers" which matches
what we're doing here pretty closely.

Look also under: http://www.lawspirit.com/legalenglis...ok/torts16.htm
and "negligent misrepresentation".

Or http://www.hartley.com/neglmisr.htm

I should however admit that I have a very strong allergic reaction to
management by liability. I believe that one should do what they believe
is right and leave the legal consequences to lawyers.

So do I. Otherwise, I wouldn't be in this newsgroup handing out
technical advice or worse, writing electrical FAQs, would I?

I also believe that the original posting that produced all of this
personal enmity was clearly and obviously a joke. I see the flaming
surrounding that posting as a straw man for old issues between those
attacking the original poster and him. You don't like him so anything
he says has to be gravely and seriously wrong.

For me to "not like him", I'd have to know him, right? I'd never
seen one of his postings before.

Believe what you want, as fiercely as you want! That does not obligate
me to agree with you. I believe based on my training and experience
that you are wrong. Since neither of us is likely to be persuaded by
the others fervor I suggest we let it go.

So you don't think we have any obligation to provide correct and
safe advice?

Oh oh.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est