Borax

Default BBQ Thermometer probe replacement

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll hope. I have a
Nu-Temp wireless thermometer that I really like
(http://www.nu-temp.com/701.htm) except for 2 things.

The maximun temperature that it can display is 392F, and even the high
temp probe
(http://ww5.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?us...95&units=14.95)
has a maximum temperature rating of 572F.

My main concern is that I can't check to get, say, a 450F temperature,
and I'm a bit concerned that with a hot flame on my LP grill I could
damage the probe.

So.... Is it possible to use an alternate probe (thermocouple) that is
rated for higher temperatures (something like
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=TJ36-ACL)

I'm not sure if thermocouples can be interchanged or have certain
characteristics that would make them unusable.

I just don't want to burn up probes.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!