Speedy Jim

Al Kondo wrote:

I have a stuck bathroom drain in my second floor bathtub. The house
is probably 50 years old so it has old plumbing. The drain flows but
very slowly. At times, when the volume of water is fairly high, I end
up standing in a puddle when showering. Here is what I have tried so
far:

1. boiling hot water down the drain several times
2. Drano and its equivalents several times
3. Snaked the pipe through the overflow for a distance of about 10
feet. Pulled up some hair but the drain was still not performing.
4. Used the contraption which is placed into the drain pipe and
attached to a garden hose. It fills up with water after sealing off
the pipe and shoots a flow of water into the remaining pipe. No luck.

I am reluctant to expose the pipe to pull it apart as I will have to
take off the sheetrock from the first floor to do it. I would
appreciate some suggestions.

Al Kondo

Assuming that you have already cleared any hair out of the
drain fitting in the bottom of the tub, you may have to resort
to renting a longer snake. You can get a hand-held power
snake with a 25Ft cable.

One of the problems in snaking a tub drain is that often
the snake will go *up* the vent instead of down the drain.
It helps to have someone listen in the wall for this.

Can be tricky to snake.

Jim