Gideon

I'm just guessing here, but I'll bet that the auto paint will cook also.
I think that the temperatures on a dark door covered by a storm
door are much greater than those on an auto finish. Imagine the
difference for your auto finish if your car were wrapped in a non-
vented glass envelop a few inches from its surface every day while
baking in the sun. Combine that with the fact that there would be
a very big difference between the excellent factory finish on a car
and an aftermarket car paint finish applied to the house door.

Also, the incremental difference for the steel door manufacturer
to switch to auto grade paints would be very small compared to
the current problems that they have with customer complaints
about the "baked door" syndrome. If the auto paint provided much
relieve, then I'd assume that the steel door manufacturers would
spend the extra few dollars to use auto paint at the factory. I
would also guess that the door manufacturers are already investing
a lot of money in paint research.

Gideon

========

Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message ...

"Purple Moose" wrote in message

Well, one of our painted solid wood doors literally had the finish baked
right off it in little over a year. The heat also shrank some of the
crossmembers to the point where there were gaps you could see through. The
door we have now (solid oak) I refinished at the end of last summer using
a high quality UV resistant outdoor stain and a UV outdoor poly top coat.
It's already flaking off.

I do not want to be painting doors every year.

Take the new door to a body shop and get an automotive paint on it. Cars
sit in the sun and last a long time compared to house paint.