Martin Angove wrote:
In message ,
Owain wrote:

Hmmm. I don't think British wiring would have been much better -
especially with it being war-time.

Of course, our wiring has improved considerably since then; we've even
banned wire-nuts. Theirs hasn't, and they haven't.

The comment I liked was the one which said something along the lines of
"The hospital where I worked had these things, installed in 1933. They
were replaced when the wards were remodelled in 1995".

Exactly, nail on head. 1930s wiring is common place over there _today_
in 2005. Having no earth anywhere on your presmises is considered
normal, numerous old installs are like that. I've only once ever seen
anything that ancient over here.

Those bods don't seem to like their "thermomagnetic breakers". In what
way do their breakers differ from our modern MCBs?

I dont know, but I know enough about merican lectrics to know their kit
is generally of way lower quality than here. For example the standard
insulator on bulb holders is a piece of card, and the standard socket
cable connector is a flat spring, not a screw connection. So I wouldnt
be surprised if their mcbs were slow, unreliable, or overheated.

NT