Martin Angove

In message ,
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall adrian-the papers and the
wrote:

The bonding should
be to the earths of local circuits -- a dedicated earth conductor
back to the switchboard is not required for bathroom bonding (it
is for the service bonding above). Normally, 4mm? earth cable
is used for bonding, but that can be dropped down to 2.5mm? if
the cable is protected from damage.

OK - I can come throught the bathroom wall to reach a 13A socket in
the hall - so I could pick up the earth from there ?

Hello Adrian!

The bonding in the bathroom is only required to join all the bits of
exposed metal (well strictly conductors) together, it doesn't actually
need to be connected to any mains wiring earth anywhere.

Err... and I'm sure someone else'll be along in a minute to say the
exact same thing, yes it does. For example, fig. 4d and 4e in the OSG:

"The protective conductors of all power and lighting points within the
zones must be supplementary bonded to all extraneous-conductive-parts in
the zones, including metal waste, water and central heating pipes, and
metal baths and metal shower basins."

There's no need to connect to the E of a socket in the hall, unless the
circuit supplying that socket also supplies something in the bathroom
and that is the best place to connect to it. However the "protective
conductors" (earth wires) of all electrical items in the bathroom must
be supplementary bonded to the metalwork.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: