Brian

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Purple White White White Red/Blue White White
-6,7 Armature Armature -1,5 -1,4 -7(1k6) -6 (1k6)
0V ~235V 0V 0 ~230V ~160V ~160V

Any ideas? Is the motor goosed .. Control unit? Or does none
of this make sense to anyone?

If there's really 235V across the armature and the motor
isn't turning, then there will be clouds of smoke within
a few seconds. This implies there is a break somewhere in
the armature circuit. One possibility is that there is a
one broken armature winding and the motor happens to have
stopped with the brushes on that one. Maybe the brushes
are not making proper contact with the commutator?

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the
original post but I did the above voltage readings
straight out of the connector that goes into the
motor, WITHOUT the motor attached. Maybe this was
... stupid, but its not easy to access them otherwise,
and I was running out of ideas. I wanted to see
what was being sent, unloaded. I suppose it may ramp
up the voltage in order to power the ghost motor.
But it did show it wants to stick power out.

Prior to this I got about 7-8 ohms across the armature pins
of the unconnected motor so I assumed the brushes touched
ok, and that was the total impedance across the windings.

After you've had power on the motor (and isolated it
again), are any of the windings warm (be careful as they
could be very hot)? I presume you can spin the motor by
hand with the power off, i.e. it hasn't got a ceased
bearing?

Its definitely not ceased. I'll see if I can check for
warmth later.

I do find it odd that so much ac voltage seems to be
going over what I guess is a tachometer, and that nothing

Not possible to tell directly from your measurements, but
it looks to me like there could well be no voltage across
the tachometer as both sides measured the same voltage.

Ahh I see your point, if both are in phase.
Hmm. Don't know whats supposed to be across it.
I kind of imagined it would be a signal out that is induced,
with nothing passed INTO it.

is going into the all important purple wire. On the other hand,
there is a lot of voltage going in for little action!

1, 4 and 5 are presumably the field windings. It looks
like 1 and 5 or 4 and 5 have a supply on them, and the
other connection is probably for operating the motor at
a completely different power/speed, such as the final spin.

Ok.

BTW, don't try operating the motor with no load. In theory,
the microprocessor should limit the speed using the tacho,

Yes thanks, I read that on the net. I'm surprised there
isn't a 'here is how hotpoint wire their motors' article,
but I just can't find one anywhere.

One final note - the controller block is definitely a lot
noisier than it used to be. But everything else (pumps / heat
etc) all work. Its just the motor won't turn.

I was trying to get the controller out to have a look at the
solder joints on the bottom but can't seem to get at a
couple screws. Maybe thats for tommorow!