Mike

"Steve" wrote in message
news:7b7f9699466be3c5205af2c91afcfa40@localhost...
Hello.

I am totally confused! I need to do some repointing on my Edwardian semi.
From investigation I'm led to believe that lime based mortar would have
originally been used. However, there seems to be lots of, often
contradictory, information about the type of mortar I should use.

1. Use 3:1 lime mix. Some say hydrated lime mixed dry is OK,

No - doesn't produce a nice 'fat' mix

others say
the hydrated lime needs to be soaked in water for as long as possible,

Much better

others say hydrated lime is unsuitable and you should use commercial lime
putty.

Best

2. Use 1:1:6 cement:lime mix.

Not nice to do if the house still has lime mortar intact but does work

Or use 1:2:9 cement mix.

No - cracks

3. Sand. Some say use sharp sand, others builders sand, others a mix of
the 2.

Hard one. Best thing is to take a small sample from the wall and have it
analysed for a match.

I'd be grateful for some conclusive guidance as how to go about producing
a mortar mix to as closely replicate the existing mortar.

If you google for your nearest "lime putty" centre (MikeWye, Oldhousestore,
Bleaklow, etc) they will offer lots of advice.