Hax Planx

Ed's Stuff says...

Hi Folks
What do you recommend as the final finish for an oak table top. ie varnish,
lacquer , urethan, polyurethane. et.

Also the best way to apply your favorite finish.

Ed

I vote for Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Varnish applied with a good
natural brush. Use three coats and apply them as thin as you can, which
is still thick considering you are brushing it. Do one coat each day and
carefully level it between coats with 320 wet/dry lubricated with
mineral spirits. Before that, use three coats of 1# shellac and gently
level it with fine grade synthetic steel wool after the last coat.
After the last coat of varnish, it will have a beautiful high gloss
finish that will unfortunately feel rough from dust nibs. Wait a month
and level it one last time and bring back the shine with ultra-fine
steel wool (I like the white color synthetic kind), rottenstone and a
coat of wax designed for wood. I have a can of Lundmark's that I bought
at an Ace hardware store for $7. It's just carnauba and turpentine. Be
advised that the odor of Rockhard Varnish is formidable, but then so is
linseed oil, turpentine and others. The phenolic varnish in Rockhard is
the next best thing to polyurethane for impervious durability.