Tom Watson

On 30 May 2005 07:33:32 -0700, wrote:

I would like to start a discussion on markings and symbols used in
woodworking. I am refering to things like the cabinet maker's
triangle, methods of what component is what and what side of a cabinet
is what. I find myself changing my method of marking often because I
am not convinced that the one I used last is the best.

Some of the replies to this type of discussion are "use whatever works
for you". But that creates problems when you might come up with a
symbol that can be misinterpreted. Or, like the Roman numbering
system, not the best concept to use.

I was taught to use the pyramid, which has been explained.

I was also taught to mark with an X - the X always describing the
waste side.

I was further taught to use a loop that described either the face and
the left side, or the face and the top.

After several shabby tries at replicating this mark, I have put the
result on ABPW.

You have my apologies for its primitive look - it is easier to do with
a carpenter's pencil than it is in MS Paint.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)