Roger Shoaf

I think the easy way to approach this problem would be to make a scale
drawing, and then measure the distance X.

This would give you a close approximation. Now you could use the brute
force trial and error method to get to the result.

Looking at the algebra that Marv provided, kinda gives me a headache.

I am keeping this to have one of my learned friends explain the algebra to
me in terms I can understand.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Errol Groff" wrote in message
Ladder_Problem.PDF is an interesting math problem I found in the book
Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A Harvey.

The solution I used to find the answer will be posted as
Ladder_Problem_Answer.PDF

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department