jimbo

Drew:

I have used threaded inserts in plywood (hardwood veneer and baltic birch)
with great success (at least for my requirements). The key is to chamfer the
hole where the insert is screwed in. Clamping a guide block to the workpiece
while installing the insert can also keep the veneer from lifting. Note that
a threaed insert in plywood relies somewhat on the strength of the glue that
holds everything together, unlike installing an insert in solid lumber where
the density of the material is the primary contributor to joint strength.

If you need additional advice, or consultation, feel free to call Darin
Lawrence, my technical director, at 1-800-443-7937.

HTH,

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws,
www.mcfeelys.com
Festool ISA since 2001

"Drew Eckhardt" wrote in message
Since finger tight nuts and carriage bolts do a wonderful job anchoring my
drill press vises, I figured that bolts and threaded inserts would be
great
way to anchor my plywood drill press table.

I'd like to use blind holes to keep the top smooth.

I bought some 3/8-24 threaded inserts from McFeely's with a 3/4" OD and
5/8"
root diameter.

It seemed logical to treat them like screws, and bore 5/8" holes of
suitable
depth with a forstner bit.

Unfortunately when I start threading the inserts in, the plywood starts
to pull apart. Can I make the inserts work, or do I need to do something
else?

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single