william_b_noble

I'd like to second the 3M product - one consideration for me is that the 3M
unit I have is a full industrial hard hat with the breathing aparatus and a
face shield - that way I don't have to worry about getting smacked on the
head by something either (and yes, the hard hat part works) - one trip to
the E-room that you don't make will easily pay for the price of the unit.

I don't know what is available in the UK, but please consider something that
includes head protection as well.

"David Wade" wrote in message
Ron
I have a 3M AS200. It has the battery on your belt and the motor and
filter in the hat. With a couple replacement parts it cost about $600US
and I love it and recommend it. Forget the cost of the parts and look at
the benefit to your health. If you are more likely to use it because it is
more comfortable or more compatible with your glasses then the money is
nothing compared to your ability to breathe 15 years from now.
David

Ron Headon wrote:
I've just been loaned a Trend Airshield powered respirator by a friend to
"try before I buy". It seems to work really well but the only things
which
are really putting me off a

(i) the cost - £154 seems a huge amount of money to pay for some bits of
plastic, a small fan, a battery, a battery charger and a couple of
filters.
(ii) the plastic seems rather thin - I'm sure that it wouldn't take too
much
to damage it - although I understand that if it were much thicker it
would
adversely increase the weight.
(iii) the user manual says that the life of the product should be about 3
years - I assume this would be based on daily use. I'd probably be using
it
a couple of times a week so I would guess that this would extend it's
actual
life - otherwise it would be costing me about £50 per year, plus spare
filters, plus recharging.
(iv) cost of consumables is quite high - so not only is the purchase cost
high but the running costs would be high as well. Depends on how often
I'd
need to change filters I suppose.

And yet when I look at the benefits it's actually rather tempting. I
haven't
really found a comparable product in it's class in the UK to compare it
with
so I don't know whether this is a good deal or not - or whether to
continue
with the canister type respirator which is sweaty round the chin, full of
glop after a short time and the elastic straps of which would probably
damage my new specs. I'd be interested to hear your
views/experiences/recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Ron Headon
Swindon, England