I would consider using propane for your fuel gas. Acetylene regulators
will screw right on the larger propane tanks. Your welding supply
dealer should be able to fix you up with a propane tip for your torch.
Engineman

wrote:
I have a Smith accetylene generator. Can not find carbide anymore
around here. Anyone know where one can purchase a container.
I have lots of cutting to do an want to use the old machine.
The plan is to pressure test and replace the seals but waiting to do so
until I can locate the carbide.
These generators can be dangerous. I am 49 and have grown up around
this unit.
If the carbide is not available, I may clean it up and put it in a
museum or sell the generator.