Daern's Instant Fortress

Default Combi Boiler and Room Thermostats

"Owain" wrote in message
"Daern's Instant Fortress" wrote
| Our house has a very large conservatory, which was heated
| by a CH fed convector. ...

Moving to TRVs is generally regarded as a Good Thing, and may actually be
required under Building Regulations (when you replace your boiler you may

be
required to bring the whole system up to current standards).

However what you really should consider is putting your conservatory on a
separate 'zone' on the heating system, so you can programme it with its

own
time and temp settings completely separately from the house. You will be
using a lot of heat to keep it warm in the depths of winter. Depending on
how the plumbing is arranged this may be a fairly simple job adding a zone
valve and an appropriate controller, or it may be a complete pain.

I'll reply once for Ed and Owain's replys, as you both say more or less the
same thing:

I see where you are coming from with the seperate zones, but surely turning
the TRVs down in the winter (or if we are not using the room) amounts to the
same thing. The conservatory will be out of circuit and not using any
energy. Likewise, when the sun shines, the room is warm, the TRVs are off
and I'm not spending money. Am I missing some subtlety here?

As a general system question, when using TRVs, is it normal to *not* have
any room thermostats at all and what is the best practice for managing this?
Should I have all of my rads with TRVs or just leave one without?

Thanks for your replies on this subject. They're much appreciated!

DIF