L. M. Rappaport

On 8 May 2005 21:37:13 -0700, wrote (with
possible editing):

I selling a relative's home and am wondering if I should pay to have a
45 yr old Kitchenaid dishwasher that won't start fixed, or replace it
with a brand new Bosch? The difference in cost is a few hundred
dollars. If the repair only adds 90 days or whatever to the life of the
Kitchenaid, does it make sense?

FWIW - and assuming you mean 4 - 5 year old, I just had exactly the
same situation. I had a top of the line Kitchen Aid Dishwasher which
I had bought to replace a working 18 year old Kitchen Aid - big
mistake. The problem was that it got too hot. I called the dealer
from whom I bought the machine. He came out twice but could not fix
it. I called Kitchen Aid who just told me to call the dealer. They
were absolutely no help. In the meantime, I figured out that what was
probably broken was the high temperature thermostat. However, the
dealer walked off with the service literature which was in the bottom
of the machine. Again, Kitchen Aid refused to help.

I finally gave up in disgust. Today's Kitchen Aid is not like the old
one. I bought a new Bosch. The darn thing is so quiet, you have to
look carefully to determine if it's on. I'll never buy any Kitchen
Aid appliance again and nothing from the local dealer. I'll bet he
could care less.

OTOH, if it really is 45 years old, too bad. It was better made than
anything you can buy today, but I doubt you'll be able to get parts
for it.

Good luck,
--

Larry