chicagofan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Purple Moose" wrote in message

Well, one of our painted solid wood doors literally had the finish baked
right off it in little over a year. The heat also shrank some of the
crossmembers to the point where there were gaps you could see through. The
door we have now (solid oak) I refinished at the end of last summer using
a high quality UV resistant outdoor stain and a UV outdoor poly top coat.
It's already flaking off.

I do not want to be painting doors every year.

Take the new door to a body shop and get an automotive paint on it. Cars
sit in the sun and last a long time compared to house paint.

I have the same problem as the OP with my wood entrance door, and have been
looking for a good replacement for a couple of years. Couldn't decide between
fiberglas or steel, because of the constant sun maintenance problems. It needs
painting every year too, but I ignore it more than I should.

This sounds like a great idea! Hope I can find someone to do it for me. Thanks!
bj