Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
a. One or two, only, are listed on the Trane and/or Am Std web site.
Most are not listed, but they ALL say they are "Authorized," whatever that
really means. Can't get a clear explanation from any of them.
What does it mean ?

Different things to different companies. Most "authorized" dealers have
co-operative advertising, pehaps some company training, stock replacement
parts for t hat brand. The manufacturer may have checked out the dealer for
ability and financial soundness also.

b. I'm assuming that most any contractor in the area can be called in the
future, and they would just bill Trane for any actual Trane furnace
warranty work. Right ?

In most cases, yes. The authorized dealer has a better relationship for that
though. You may still have to pay the labor directly.

But what happens regarding any peripheral problems that might develop such
as with a newly installed thermostat., the Fast-Stat extra wires device
that will be required, etc.
Who would be responsible for repairs on them if the initial contractor is
no longer around ?

Read the specific warranty

Would this type of repair or just possibly an adjustment still covered by
Trane's Basic, or their Extended warranty ?

Read the basic and extended warranty for details.

c. If the "heat" malfunctions on a winter night, who do you call if the
original contractor is no longer around; would this type of call be
covered by Trane's warranty ?

If the unit is still under warranty, yes, but after that period, you are on
your own. At 2 AM, you'd be better off knowing who the dealer is that has
emergency service.

d. Does it make any sense to (also) get the service contract offered by
the local gas company to cover (any of) this ?

Often, yes, if the price is reasonable it gives you some security. Read
what is covered to be sure. . I've never had a service contract and I'm
thousands of dollars ahead at this point.