Steve

Default Zen and the art of mortar mixing

Hello.

I am totally confused! I need to do some repointing on my Edwardian semi.
From investigation I'm led to believe that lime based mortar would have
originally been used. However, there seems to be lots of, often
contradictory, information about the type of mortar I should use.

1. Use 3:1 lime mix. Some say hydrated lime mixed dry is OK, others say
the hydrated lime needs to be soaked in water for as long as possible,
others say hydrated lime is unsuitable and you should use commercial lime
putty.

2. Use 1:1:6 cement:lime mix. Or use 1:2:9 cement mix.

3. Sand. Some say use sharp sand, others builders sand, others a mix of
the 2.

.....and so it goes on.

Simply, the more I search, the more differing opionions I seem to find.

I've taken a picture of the existing mortar -
http://steve.blokes.org.uk/p15678304.html

I'd be grateful for some conclusive guidance as how to go about producing
a mortar mix to as closely replicate the existing mortar.

Cheers,

Steve.