Jeff

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Although I accept that for professional tiles doing large areas score

and
snap will work, and is faster...

(i) it leaves a sharp edge wich I always sand off anyway.

With just a light score you get a perfect edge, which is of course sharp.
Normally hidden by grout anyway.

(ii) It can't do corner cuts, and nibbling always breaks more tiles than
the tile saw.
(iii) it can't do curves, whereas with ingenuity, a tile saw can produce
remarkably goood curves to fit round pipes etc.
(iv) currently a tile saw is as cheap as a decent score and snap system,
and will actually last LONGER than a cheap one.

(v) Score and snap will not reliably prooduce tile sections less than
about 30mm wide

.
If you're on your last box of tiles, this is true. If you've got loads
left
over, it'll snap off 15mm :-)

(vi) For an amateur, a tiles saw will probabkly result in less wastage

of
expensive tiles.

Can't disagree with the above, but the proportion of difficult cuts to
straight is pretty small. One course of tiles round a bathroom could
easily
mean 70-80 straight cuts. You really need both tools

In the context of a professional tiler you are correct (time is money) but
for diy you cant beat electric (i have 2 or 3 snappers up in the loft that
will never be used again)

Regards Jeff