Charley

I've been following this thread with considerable interest. It's amazing
that we woodworkers have gotten this far in the world and never developed
any kind of a standard for this. Traditionally, none of the world's
technologies really went anywhere until some basic standards were created
for everyone to follow. I'm thinking of things like National Fine and
National Coarse thread, Inch and Metric measurement, or how about the IBM
PC. Yea, we have standard screw sizes, house framing and building standards,
etc. but we don't have piece marking standards for furniture and cabinet
making (as far as I know). Before the PC every computer had it's own
different operating system and new programs were almost non-existant,
because it wasn't worth doing it for so many different operating systems.
Now there are operating system standards from the big M (let's leave it at
that - I don't want to go there) and all of the programs are designed to
work with it. Maybe one of you who has your own website could put together
some of the best of these ideas and create such a standard for the rest of
us to follow, putting the latest version on the website with graphic
representations of each so we can all access it and begin to think the same
way. We could keep adding to it via discussions here and keep changing it
until we all like it. Who knows, we might take woodworking to a whole new
level with this.

This is just a thought that I've decided to share. I leave it for you all to
decide what to do with it.
--
Charley

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On 30 May 2005 07:33:32 -0700, wrote:

I would like to start a discussion on markings and symbols used in
woodworking. I am refering to things like the cabinet maker's
triangle, methods of what component is what and what side of a cabinet
is what. I find myself changing my method of marking often because I
am not convinced that the one I used last is the best.

Some of the replies to this type of discussion are "use whatever works
for you". But that creates problems when you might come up with a
symbol that can be misinterpreted. Or, like the Roman numbering
system, not the best concept to use.

I use a lot of letters. If I'm making two tables, for instance, and
they each have four stretchers that are 22" wide, I mark all the 22"
stretchers with an "A". If two of those stretchers have tenons with
one shoulder and two of them have two shoulders, then I mark four
pieces with A1 and four pieces with A2. The other pieces get
different letters, and I just make sure that the letters have the same
orientation on each peice. That way, when I move to the next
operation, I look for the letter, make sure is it oriented correctly
(IE, the "A" is not upside down) and make my cut.

For angles, I either write the degree on it, or use the geometry
symbols (as I know them, though there may be variations) Usually, I
use a small radius on the inside of the angle with a hash mark on it.
Everything with the same angle gets the same hash mark- if there are
two different angles, angle one get one hash mark, and angle two gets
to of them.

I don't generally use an x to mark waste- usually what I do is lay
either a peice of paper (when laying curves) or a thin ruler on the
board, and draw several short diagonal lines from the edge. That way
I'm left with one smooth side to the line and one that is uneven. The
uneven end is the waste side.

To figure out which side is up (when I'm not lettering the part) I
just draw an arrow, and make sure it is pointing up when I assemble
the peice.

Ultimately, it's not really that important unless you're passing
partially constructed pieces on to another person, though. As long as
you're consistant, it shouldn't matter how you mark things up.