Jim Pugh

Another thing to keep in mind is that you aren't sanding with the whole pad
at one time. Place either the right or left edge of the sanding pad in
contact with the work, gently as Bill said. You will figure out how far
toward flat you can go but most power sanding pads used on bowls are never
worn out in the middle....... Also, a softish rubber pad under the sand
paper makes this procedure more forgiving and helps prevent the edge of the
sandpaper from digging in and making grooves altho that can happen if a
person is determined to use poor technique. DAMHIK
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
Some things to try...

Most folks sand in the 1:00 to 3:00 position. You need to experiment with
the drill rotating in both directions -- depending on your technique one
direction will work better than the other.

I use a drill with a 45% angled head -- the Milwaukee made by Sioux. This
allows me to hold it with my elbows against my body which gives pretty
good stability.

Run the lathe slowly -- this will also help. Let the sander do the work
rather than the lathe. Don't use too much pressure which just creates
heat.

Bill

Richard wrote:
I have only been turning for about a year. Up to now i have always free
hand sanded my bowls and thought it was time to move on to power sanding.
I am a Fitter/Welder so i am not new to using power tools for
sanding/grinding etc, but i have to be honest here and say that i am
finding this very difficult.

I am using a variable speed power drill with a 2" Velcro topped mandrel
for most sanding on bowls around 6" to 8" diameter. What i find difficult
is when i address the mandrel to the bowl it is very hard to keep steady
& is kicked from the spinning bowl.

Is there a preferred area you should sand on the outside? & inside?
example - between 8 to 10 O clock'. What sort of lathe speed is best, I'm
assuming this has allot do do with bowl diameter.

I do realize its probably trial & error, but any tips would be much
appreciated.

Richard.