Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
(~Roy~) wrote:

When I first made my 20 inch bandsaw, it was cutting on a slight angle
and was virtuially impossible to follow a straight line without a lot
of fiddling around. I changed to a bi - metal blade, and it was
somewhat better. I adjusted my blade guides in so there wa virtually
no clearances, it got better, and nothing else I tweaked seemed to
make much difference, even changing blade brands to another brand of
bi-metal. Then I remembered bimetal blades reuire a lot more tension,
and since I had one blade with a few teeth missing I decided to
tension it to the point it would start cutting straight or bust the
blade or bend my saws frame, which would be pretty unlikely, since its
4"x 4" x 3/8" wall steel tube with gussets of 1/4" plate.......I
cranked up pretty darn hard on the tensioner, and low and behold it
cut like it never cut before. I even found it cut perfectly fine with
carbon steel blades. I have to think a good majority of bandsaw
problems in regards to cutting straight is caused by blades that are
improperly or insufficieintly tensioned

I suspect that you are right about insufficient tension, and I did rack
the tension up to max, but it didn't quite solve the problem. The
tension is still set quite high, but the sled made the difference.

Joe Gwinn