Tom Miller

I've seen some that haven't been turned off for several years at a time
with no apparent problems

Tom Miller

"lionslair at consolidated dot net" "lionslair at consolidated dot net"
wrote in message ...
Greg O wrote:

"JB" wrote in message

Hi Guys,

As many of you know, I have just installed a VFD on my Bridgeport Mill.
With the help of the members of this NG I was bale to get it up and
running. My question to the group is, when not in use, do I disconnect

the
VFD from it's power supply? I soemtimes go a week or more without using
the mill.

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

I would shut it down when not in use. Chances are nothing will ever

happen,
but no sense in tempting fate!
Greg

One thing on electronics. If you use it parts inside start to age and

some
heal themselves. If off, some parts idle while others degrade.

Capacitors, power type not AC type - power supply and electrolytic types
dry out if off. If powered electrolytic keeps the cap healthy.

e.g. best to idle expensive HI Fi - than completely turn it off.
Nowadays much of the electronics remains on while 'off' allowing a remote

to switch on...

It becomes tougher when one doesn't know what is in the box.

Generally, if you use it several times a month or once a week - turning

off is reasonable.
Some idle time might be wanted if there is a planned long time - picket

fence the power -
Tuesdays I'll power it on. off at night.

Electronics is getting better, the caps are better but some are not in

that case.

VFD - I would guess nominal on time a month would be enough.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life