Robert11

Default If HVAC No Longer Around: What Happens ?

Hello:

I am now pretty close to select a contractor for my new Trane 80 series
furnace install. It's a big financial decision, and let me please post a
few questions on what is causing me some concern.

Most of the HVAC contractors, if not all, are pretty small outfits; perhaps
half a dozen people. All the ones I've spoken with seem competent, but am
wondering if they will still be around in a few years. What happens then is
what concerns me. [ (a) below is my major concern/question]

a. One or two, only, are listed on the Trane and/or Am Std web site.
Most are not listed, but they ALL say they are "Authorized," whatever that
really means. Can't get a clear explanation from any of them.
What does it mean ?

How important is it to go with one that is actually Trane listed, or is
listing on their site merely a function of how many units they sell, if they
do that brand exclusively, etc., and not related to any "competency
screening" ?

b. I'm assuming that most any contractor in the area can be called in the
future, and they would just bill Trane for any actual Trane furnace warranty
work. Right ?

But what happens regarding any peripheral problems that might develop such
as with a newly installed thermostat., the Fast-Stat extra wires device that
will be required, etc.
Who would be responsible for repairs on them if the initial contractor is no
longer around ?

Would this type of repair or just possibly an adjustment still covered by
Trane's Basic, or their Extended warranty ?

c. If the "heat" malfunctions on a winter night, who do you call if the
original contractor is no longer around; would this type of call be covered
by Trane's warranty ?

d. Does it make any sense to (also) get the service contract offered by the
local gas company to cover (any of) this ?

Thanks,
B.