mark d

On 30 May 2005 04:22:28 -0700, wrote:

Firstly we dont know what the wall is made from, I'm assuming theres
more to it than just lintels, since they would not stay up on their
own.

1960's house then they are 13 to 14 ft wide and sit on the brick /
sinderblock walls that form the side walls.

Unless Im mistaken, if a concrete lintel sags, it has failed. If this
is your situation, I would not be looking to decorate over the cracks,
as it may possibly be at risk of collapse. Without the necessary info,
really we can not know what is going on, but sagging crete lintels does
not sound good.

Doesnt concrete take a while to fully set? They would have been cast
in situ and sagged over subsequent months. It seems very typical of
60's houses and flats and its not a major problem. If the OPs lintles
have been covered in paslter board then the house has been replastered
and the cracks are where no skrim was use. If it hasnt been
replastered but merely sounds hollow like plaster board then the sand
and cemet plaster is detatched and the fix is to replaster.

Those 13' wide windows present problems for window fitters who have
measured the reveals at the side and not noticed the sag

NT