MM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:42:43 +0100, Derek *
wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:29:45 +0100, MM
wrote:

So many people will be hit with unexpected fines that this alone will
make the system unworkable. Crikey, we've seen what a song and dance
the media (rightly) can make about some old dear who's been refused
operations four times.

In those instances AFAICS the authorities just tough it out no
concessions made. The furore dies down in a few days.

Did we ever get to hear what happened to that poor woman who's
operation had only a 50% survival probability and had been
cancelled "N" times.

I believe she did finally get her operation, which was successful.

Imagine hundreds of thousands of voters
suddenly with a demand for a thousand quid on their doormats because
they dropped their card or placed it too close to static or something.

I'm not so sure, one hears very few complaints nowadays, (in fact
*zero* IME), about the civil penalties that they stick on you for
getting your tax return in late.

Just in the last few days the government has been flying kites
about making graduates work 'till they are 70 before they can get
the state pension, raising the cost of the V.E.D. to Ca £900 for
what they term "gas guzzlers", and fining 10 year old kids £30 for
dropping sweetie papers *as if* they'll be able to collect that
from chav scum.

All without as much as the slightest whimper of protest that I've
noticed from the docile Great British Public.

Yes, I wonder whether the public would bat an eyelid if Government
paddy wagons roamed the streets demanding the first-born. They'd
probably just go back to watching Big Brother and making a mental note
to afford more booze and fags this week. "But send us back the
clothes, like. We can sell 'em on eBay!"

MM