RBM

The two white wires are neutrals and the pigtail to the outlet is fine, but
remove the pigtail to the box, which is wrong. If the cable is metal, the
sheath serves as the ground. If the cable is nonmetallic and has no ground,
the GFCI should be marked as ungrounded, or better yet, replace the cable
with a grounded type. hth
"jadern" wrote in message
ups.com...
While replacing an old outdoor single outlet receptacle ( with a GFI
protected), this is what I found. There are two cables, power coming in
and the other going out to a switch to power an outdoor light. These
are the two wire type with no ground wire. The two black wires were
spliced together with a copper crimp with a pigtail going to the one
outlet terminal. The white wires were crimped together and a pigtail
was attached to the other outlet terminal. There is also another
pigtail from the white wire crimp that goes to a ground screw in the
metal box. That is my question. Is this the old way to ground an outlet
box or am I about to be fried? I have since replaced it with a GFI
outlet without the ground wire in place.