Martin Evans wrote:

"A 230V lamp operated at 240V will only achieve 55% of its life"

Precisely. A large proportion of lamps now come from overseas, both
within Europe and the far east but simply marked "240v" - the
filament in a number of cases is absolutely identical to those
utilised on mainland Europe and the UK consumer is non the wiser -

Do you have any evidence for this? I've never come across any. I've
never yet had any such problems, despite buying a range of brands, and
from dealing with complaints here of bulbs going often, I find usually
the problem is simply unrealistic expectations from consumers.

If you have 9x 1000hr bulbs running 3.7 hours a day, you'll get 1
failure per month average. Yet people expect more like one failure per
9 months!

NT