DeepDiver

"RoyJ" wrote in message
ink.net...

The total of .120 is going to make a fairly sloppy telescoping joint. You
mentioned 24" sections, if the overlap is less than about 6" is
will flop a good bit.

Hmmm, that's the same amount of clearance in the purpose-made telescoping
tubing that's sold by Princess Auto in Canada (refer to Grant Erwin's post
earlier in this thread). So is all square telescopic tubing a sloppy fit by
nature? I was hoping for a 3" overlap when the inner section was fully
extended. (By the way, this is for making outrigger-style
supports/stabilizers for a rolling machine stand I'm building. The support
arms are to be withdrawn for a more compact storage footprint.)

I really can't believe this is so difficult. Surely there must be square
telescopic tubing that fits together well, is commonly sold, and does not
cost an arm-and-a-leg. Or am I dreaming about a perfect world again...

- Michael