Rick

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

It would make part of the design simpler if I can weld the tubes one on top

of
the other at 90degrees instead of a 90 degree butt joint.

Cutting might be easier (depends on your equipment).
Design easier? I kind of doubt this.
Welding will be a tad harder, and the optics will be ugly. :-)

Is this going to be ok? I will try one and post a picture.

I would be ashamed to show such a joint to someone. ;-))

Nick

Yeah, I nixed that idea anyway. I just needed to be able to pass cables through
the tubes, and didn't want to add 2 more welds to the structure. I figured it
out
now though.

On the plus side, I made a quick and dirty welding table out of a 3 foot by 4
foot piece
of 1 inch thick pool table slate, which anyone can get free at their local pool
table dealer.
(They sometimes have 1 of a matched set of 3 break, and they toss the other 2).

It makes *such* a nice precision non coductive surface to weld on, and it is
solid as..well
...a rock :-)

I am getting a bit better welds with the 3/32 6013, but I am having problems in
the first 1/3
of the weld with slag inclusions...the final 2/3 actually looks like a nice
fillet weld. Maybe I
should just weld 2/3 of the joint :-)

rick