SteveB

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
I read here that 7018 must be kept dry to be effective. I do have a
Phoenix dry rod oven off ebay.

I was at Home Depot this weekend, and read on a box of Lincoln 7018
that Lincoln recommends redrying before use at 650 - 750 deg F for an
hour. I thought I read you could redry the stuff in a household oven.
Mine won't go that high.

Is this temperature required, or will lower work for redrying the rod?
If the rod is dry, is the flux less prone to flaking?

Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Where do you live? If it is in a humid place, it is an issue. If not, I
have seen small refrigerators with light bulbs inside used for rod storage.

It is surely better to do it right, and weld with dry rods, but, depending
on the criticality of what you are welding, it might not make two cents
difference.

Now, if the rod is really soaked, or been sitting in high humidity, it will
retain a lot of water and have to be dried for a time.

Steve