Daern's Instant Fortress

Default Combi Boiler and Room Thermostats

I'm after a little bit of impartial advice on my recent CH upgrade. It's a
bit of along tale, but quite simple in truth...

Our old CH system used a single room (house?) thermostat, located in the
hall. The radiators did not have thermostats fitted. Our house has a very
large conservatory, which was heated by a CH fed convector. Unfortunately,
because the room 'stat at the other end of the house would always turn off
before the conservatory was warm, we would be left with either a warm house
and cold conservatory or, after turning the 'stat up, a warm conservatory
and a _very_ warm house :-(

I've now had a Worscester Bosch 35CDi II combi fitted to replace my
(somewhat ageing) gravity fed boiler as part of some work we are having done
on the house.

Because of the conservatory problem, we have decided to remove the room
'stat and use radiator thermostats on all of the radiators, bar a single one
near the boiler. This should (apparently) allow each room to maintain its
own temperature and once the whole system reaches temperature, the system
will shut off because the returned water feed is at the same temperature as
the outgoing feed (apparently this is because it's heating only one
radiator).

I suppose my question is - is this a good plan, or am I going down the
totally wrong road? What considerations should I be making here? Can I run a
combi CH system without a house 'stat?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me - as you have probably
gathered, I know very little about plumbing ;-)

DIF