The Natural Philosopher

Stuart Noble wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message

On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:22:28 +0100, "Jeff" wrote:

I think all your questions have been answered so the best bit of advise

can give you is Buy an electric tile cutter, it doesn't have to be a

posh

one, I think mine is a b&q own brand about £25,

don't even think about
using anything else

You are joking of course. On straight cuts they take forever compared to
the
score and snap type. The time it would add to a whole room doesn't bear
thinking about, not to mention the mess. I don't think you'll see pros
using
saws for anything other than the odd difficult cut. Even on L shapes you
only need saw the short side.

However, you do need the type where the snap is done without having to
re-position the tile (Rubi and similar). They are an absolute doddle to
use
and will snap cleanly down to half an inch. The early Plasplugs type where
you had to accurately place the tile in the jaws after scoring were a pain
and, unfortunately, turned people off snappers altogether.

Although I accept that for professional tiles doing large areas score
and snap will work, and is faster...

(i) it leaves a sharp edge wich I always sand off anyway.
(ii) It can't do corner cuts, and nibbling always breaks more tiles than
the tile saw.
(iii) it can't do curves, whereas with ingenuity, a tile saw can produce
remarkably goood curves to fit round pipes etc.
(iv) currently a tile saw is as cheap as a decent score and snap system,
and will actually last LONGER than a cheap one.
(v) Score and snap will not reliably prooduce tile sections less than
about 30mm wide.
(vi) For an amateur, a tiles saw will probabkly result in less wastage
of expensive tiles.

For those reasons I would unhesitatingly recommend tile saws to every
single D-I-Yer in preference to a score and snap system.

It has removed 5074 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!