James Sweet

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Our apartment (built early 60's) is woefully underpowered. There's
one 20A circuit to service the entire living room, dining area AND
kitchen. However the stove and oven have separate 220V circuits
and breakers.

We'd like to run a 220V air conditioner during our hot summers
by tapping off the oven's circuit (for reasons I won't go into here,
the oven is never used). The wiring has its own conduit and
junction box in an adjacent cupboard in the kitchen -- it's readily
accessible.

How much effort is involved in adding a few 220V plugs into this
junction box? Is it easy enough for an neophyte to handle?

That's not really a good idea, there's no reason you can't learn enough on
your own to safely install a new circuit but if you don't know what you're
doing please call in someone who does, it's not worth burning the place down
or getting electrocuted.

Something reasonably safe you can do yourself is to put an oven power cord
on a box with a 240v outlet for your A/C on it and plug it in that way but
don't go hacking in permanent circuits connected to the oven circuit.