DanG

Grady,

Work for Putnam City. Live Oklahoma City.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Grady" wrote in message
At this point in time in the metro areas it would be highly
unusual for someone to have their own mineral rights here in
Oklahoma. Possibly some of the more rural areas where the land
has been in someones family for some time. I have realatives
that have property that is in the famous Anadarko Basin, and
they have owned the land and rights since way back before
statehood. And, your comment is 100 per cent correct. Where
bouts are you in Oklahoma? I am in Midwest City.

"DanG" wrote in message
newsjome.74292$yV4.51246@okepread03...

Mineral rights (stuff under the ground) and surface rights are
not the same thing. You may or may not own your mineral rights
depending on abstract. Here in Oklahoma mineral rights are a
big deal.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
wrote in message

Oil rigs seem to be capable of drilling holes inches in
diameter
and thousands of feet deep. They can keep these holes
amazingly
straight or deliberately curve them.

How do they do this and what does the drill head look
like?

Jim

Oilwells are drilled with predetermined goals in mind. The
target strata is not always right under the oil rig. Hence,
they use "directional drilling" to make the bit go in the
direction they want it to. That way, they can puncture
several levels of strata with one well to recover as much oil
as they can.

Directional drilling is achieved in many ways. It is far to
complicated to explain here in a few paragraphs. Google it
and read away. Basically, it is just a way to change the
direction of a bit to hit a known reserve. Modern advances
allow drillers to make sharper turns. A drillstem is made of
steel, but anything thousands of feet long has flex in it.

I imagine that has led to some pretty heated discussions (and
beyond) when someone's drill hole ends up under the next door
neighbor's property.

Or, am I wrong in assuming that one's oil and mineral rights
extend down to the center of the earth?

And what about draining the oil out of a strata which extends
under someone else's property - through a drill hole that's
totally under yours?

The lawyers must eat up this kind of stuff. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)