jadern

Default Electrical Question

While replacing an old outdoor single outlet receptacle ( with a GFI
protected), this is what I found. There are two cables, power coming in
and the other going out to a switch to power an outdoor light. These
are the two wire type with no ground wire. The two black wires were
spliced together with a copper crimp with a pigtail going to the one
outlet terminal. The white wires were crimped together and a pigtail
was attached to the other outlet terminal. There is also another
pigtail from the white wire crimp that goes to a ground screw in the
metal box. That is my question. Is this the old way to ground an outlet
box or am I about to be fried? I have since replaced it with a GFI
outlet without the ground wire in place.