Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BIGEYE" writes:
What is the cement/sand ratio for brickwork. I will be building a BBQ in the
near future.

The ratio depends on the properties required for
the application, so there isn't just one mortar
mix. 1:3 or 1:4 would be fine for this application.
You don't want the thing to fall over of someone
leans against it, so for this application I would
go nearer the 1:3 and/or add a small amount of PVA
to the mortar mix to improve its tensile strength
(about one teaspoon per two shovel loads of sand
is what I use).

Is it necessary to add lime to the mortar mix?

No. It's important when working on a lime mortar house,
but is a bad idea for BBQ. It will create a weaker
bond, which isn't what you want for this application.

If lime is required, can I use a plasticiser instead?

Plasticiser will make the mortar nicer to handle, but
certainly isn't essential. Unless you've done a lot
of work with mortar, I doubt you'll notice the
difference though.

If I can use, where can I buy plasticiser?

B&Q, Wickes, builders merchant, ...

What are you doing about foundations? If you don't feel
like digging a trench and pouring a proper foundation
for a brick wall, something I have seen done is to lay
lintels instead of the bottom row of bricks, which you
could dig a small trench for if you don't want to see
it. Concrete lintels are dirt cheap from a builders
merchant.

--
Andrew Gabriel