JGS

I use mostly waterborne finishes therefor wipe down with denatured alcohol or
even a damp ( with water) rag. If you don't flood the surface with water there
is not much grain raising and it is looked after with the first light sanding.
Cheers, JG

Ba r r y wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:32:49 -0400, "Stacey" wrote:

I have a project that I have just finished sanding. What is the best way to
remove the sawdust before finishing it? I seem to remeber reading something
recently to stay away from tack cloths as they leave a residue?

I like compressed air and/or the same solvent as the first finish
coat, except water. Water raises the grain. My most often prefinish
wipe-down is done with mineral sprits.

If I'm staining, I often don't get crazy about removing dust, as the
washcoat, stain, barrier, and clear coats will get light rubs between
coats. A blast of air is fine. Oiling is even easier, as the wiping
of the oil removes dust.

I've had no problems with store bought tack cloths used to wipe dust
from between-coat scuffing of varnish, shellac, and lacquer.

I don't use a lot of water base finishes, but others here do. They
can comment on tack cloths and sawdust removal for those finishes.

Barry