Harold and Susan Vordos

"lionslair at consolidated dot net" "lionslair at consolidated dot net"
wrote in message ...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message

Two and a Half wrote:

Hi

I am in need of some advice for cleaning copper. I have used a vinegar

and

lemon juice solution but it seems to leave a slight discolouration on

the

copper and as well as smelling a bit rank it still requires some

removal

of

the surface debris by hand. I have heard that hydrochloric acid is a

better

solution to use but I have no idea what percentage strength it would

have to

be or if there are any other better solutions available to buy and/or

mix.

Any advice would be appreciated

Craig
www.twoandahalf.co.uk

At the risk of stating either the obvious or the inappropriate: there
are a number of copper-cleaning compounds sold for kitchen pots and
pans. No safety issues, rinse off easily. Cost more than mixing your own
but are quick, risk-free and easy.

Don't know about you but I often find myself reinventing wheels, then
kicking myself for the lost time.

--
Fred R
________________

I can't help but agree, but the acid process can be more aggressive for
those cases where the chore at hand is extreme. For instance, you can
clean beryllium copper after heat treat and have it look great. That's
assuming you don't have a controlled atmosphere furnace at your

disposal,
and I don't. After silver soldering, too.

Harold

Harold

How about Brasso - used by every service person for years on their brass.
Sold where good food is.

Martin

--

Chuckle!

Brasso? I spent 6 years of my life with Brasso, polising my brass while
in the Utah National Guard. Acid works much easier! g

Harold