Hywel Jenkins

In article , lid
says...

I'm in the middle of replacing one of the fences at the back. It's just a
post and panel affair, but the new panels + gravel board + trellis will be
quite a bit taller than the old one, so I'm having to replace the posts as
well.

The existing posts are fixed using metpost spikes, and I've just spent the
best part of 2 hours trying to drill, chisel and prise out the first post
from it's spike - this post was pretty rotten at the bottom, but it still
didnt yield particularly willingly.

Are there any tricks to getting these things our, or am I being vastly
over-optimistic thinking I can remove them and leave the spikes in-situ?

I really don't want to have to re-sink the metposts 'cos that will mean
carefully making sure the position and alignment are just so, and I don't
see that the spikes will ever be quite as solid again after they've been
removed and replaced.

IIRC, the Metpost instructions suggest burning the old post out.

--
Hywel

Kill the Crazy Frog
http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/