Tim Lamb

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
Hmm.. It sounds as though it needs a rail across the back, underneath,
to carry most of the weight and then a second rail to span the studs for
the top fixing.

That gives me an idea. You could use a piece of 35x50mm timber
across the back, fixed to the mounting brackets on the inside,
so it doesn't protrude behind the cupboard. Screw through this
to the studs.

Er. Won't there be a backing sheet?

Another option would be to actually cut away a strip of
the lath and plaster level with the mounting holes (probably
2-3 laths worth) and replace it with a strip of timber
screwed directly to the studs. Arrange the timber to be
about the same thickness as the lath and plaster. Then screw
the cupboard into this timber strip. Some making good of the
plasterwork might be necessary, but this would be hidden
behind the cupboards.

That sounds rather professional:-)

I can use plasterboard toggles to give some additional
support if the unit corners are mid-way between studs.

I wouldn't bother. Won't stop the cupboard falling down
(nor ever support the weight during fixing up), but would
make a serious mess of the wall if a cupboard did fall
down.

Oh.

I can see there will be a follow up job to fit a matching trim strip to
cover the gap at the sides.

I think any such gap can be avoided.

This is developing into a two trip job: fit the replacement base unit
doors, assemble the hanging cupboards and plan the fixing. Back next day
with the bits needed to do the job:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb