Steven Swift

The 8000A was designed before anyone cared about RFI to instruments. It
has a very sensitive front end and an A/D conversion scheme that is
susceptible to rfi.

The cool thing about the 8000A is that is uses calibrated current sources
to measure ohms. It has 200mV and 2V basic ranges and the currents are
adjusted to give the right full scale range. For example, the 2k range
puts out 1ma. Fluke later featured this range and called it diode test on
the newer instruments. You can push in both the current buttons and the
ohms buttons to measure your current.

Makes a nice little current source for matching diodes, etc.

writes:

Thanks, Sam and Jerry.

Will give it a try with a (more or less accurate :-) ) mv AC-source.
All the other ranges work fine, as far as I can tell, only the mV AC
range overflowed. Strange that none of my other multimeters show this
behaviour (or at least much less; about 30-40mV on the 200mV range).

All that's left to do is find some good testleads for this Fluke, and
it'll be ready for everyday use.

Grtz,

Peter PE1VCC

--