Errol Groff

Default Interesting Math Problem

Wow, I am blown away by the math skills in this group. Marv Klotz's
solution is so far beyond my humble math ability that I am embarassed
to post the way that I solved the darn thing.

OTOH I got the same answer as the math whizzes so perhaps I am not so
dumb after all.

The author of the book gives the answer as 9.6771 feet. I got
9.677002 so I fugure that is probably close enough for government
work. Plus there has been so much rain around here lately I think
that my ladder sunk into the ground a bit more than his did.

I have posted my answer in the http://metalworking.com/DropBox/

The Excel file has not shown up yet so I have also posted the files at

http://neme-s.org/images/ladder.htm

My deepest respect to all you math whizzes who obviously paid more
attention in high school or college algebra than I did.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street